Tuesday, January 18, 2011

It Begins With Awareness

I don't mind stealing this post's title from one of my favorite blogs because I think it rings true. It touches me at my very core because I really believe that with awareness comes understanding and compassion. With awareness comes the desire to do something.

So with that, I would like to introduce you to Kelle Hampton. A blogger, photographer, and most importantly, a mother. Kelle's blog, Enjoying the Small Things, has captured me and I read it fervently every time she writes a new post.

You can find it here: http://www.kellehampton.com/

The blog is simply about her life - the ins and outs, ups and downs, and of course beauty in the small, everyday things that she, her husband, and their two little girls enjoy. What is particularly special about the blog, though, is that she speaks about how her youngest daughter, Nella, has Down Syndrome.

You can read Nella's birth story here: http://www.kellehampton.com/2010/01/nella-cordelia-birth-story.html

Nella's birth story is where Kelle suggests you start (be prepared with tissues). It gives you a good idea of what her family is like, and the love she has for her daughters Lainey and Nella.

Now onto the real reason I wanted to share about this particular blog. It so happens that Nella is turning one this week. As part of the celebrations, Kelle decided to set up a donation page through the National Down Syndrome Society, called Nella's ONEder fund. She initially wanted to raise $15000, but she reached that within hours, so she raised it to $30000. That eventually turned into $47000 then $63000. Kelle has raised so much money for the NDSS through the fund that she has now finally raised it to $75000.

I encourage you to watch this video that she made: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvoKTDMhpVs&feature=player_embedded

Again, be prepared with tissues.

More than anything though, I encourage you to consider making a donation - even just a small one. You can do so through her blog by clicking on the box at the top or by going directly to the donation page: http://ndss.kintera.org/faf/donorReg/donorPledge.asp?ievent=461377&supid=318966917

EVERYONE deserves acceptance. Children with developmental disabilities, in particular, need and deserve our support and understanding. To know that they are just as capable of making an impact on this world as every other child.

My former student, Lizbeth, could light up a room like no one else.


Please consider donating.

And while we're on the subject of my favorite blogs and websites. I'd like to put in a plug for one of my best friends, Evie, who has a wonderful Etsy shop. If you don't know about Etsy, it's a great website where people can create online shops to sell their handcrafted goods.

You can find the main page here: http://www.etsy.com/

We actually bought our wonderful "wedding tree" that we used as a guest book at our wedding from an Etsy shop:

Evie sells handmade art, stationary, ornaments and accessories. I personally LOVE her cards. And she's already been asked to make invitations for various functions.

Check her out: http://www.etsy.com/shop/awhimsicaljourney

And please, please, please spread the word. About both the ONEder fund and Evie's shop.

Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment